I have been doing alot of sewing this weekend and earlier this month. I have a couple of projects to share. First I read something on Pattern Review about a women who created her own dressform. This intrigued me, so I thought I would give it a try. I have tried the duct tape thing twice without any luck, partly cause my daughter helped and she has no interest in sewing. The post which I can’t find for the life of me. The reviewer basically cut out a princess seamed dress and made it to fit her body exactly, closed it up, and stuffed it. I did something similar but I am not super petite and didn’t want to have to do all of that stuffing, besides I thought it would be too lite. So I bought a mannequin online ($18), padded it (making it pinnable) and proceeded to take my dress form and squeeze it on top of this. I took an old bra stuffed it (36D) and put it on top of the dress form which by the way was a male form. The female forms are so small and I wasnt sure of bust placement. So with a male I figured I could put my bust in a realistic place on this body. I lost my patience with it and cut out excess fabric in the bust area and was unable to fit her completely. I am going to try again. I just had to take a break. Actually the pictures above with the lycra fabric are on the ill-fitting form. It is a very close likeness but I am going to perfect it!! Here are some of the pictures.
I have two almost completed projects to show. The first is my pyschodelic print I bought this weekend for $5. There was only 1 3/4 yard left on the bolt so I took it. Wasnt sure what to do with it though. In the end I saw a pattern with this fabric on it and decided to use it. Butterick 5246
The other is a Vogue wrap dress I have read alot about on PR. I decided to go with a red matte jersey and dress was coming out well but it is too big. So now I have to take out the belt which is stitched to the bodice and take in the bodice and put it all back together again.