It’s been a while since I’ve blogged. I’ve been so busy that I decided to use any spare time for sewing. I came to the conclusion that since I am overwhelmed with ideas of what to sew. I should just plan what to make so I can stay focused. Make Sense? Basically, I have bought so much fabric and patterns that I easily have way too many projects I’m trying to focus on and it stops me from making progress. First I thought, what am I likely to wear during the fall and winter months and what are my needs. Typically I only wear pants once the seasons change as I stay cold, so I decided to focus on tops I could wear with cardigans and/or jackets for meetings. Next, I searched online for inspiration and came up with quite a few tops that I knew could easily be replicated with patterns. Initially, I thought my plan was too ambitious because of the volume, but now I think I can do it. Most of it anyway. I have a goal. I want to make the B5682 jean trouser version again but in a suiting fabric once I tweak the fit. My hope is that this can become a TNT pant pattern for me. The last thing I did was search (organized LOL!!) my stash and found fabrics for tops and bottoms. Below is a list of what I’d like to make with corresponding pattern Nos:
Here are the patterns matched with fabric choices:
Before I could start I had to get in a few more dresses. I have to tweak the fit for all of these but thought I’d share what I’ve been up to because time is flying. I can’t believe we are in Fall already!!
First, there is Simplicity 2443, I used the bottom of another pattern (can’t remember which one) for a straight maxi dress. I like the T back.
It’s a wearable muslim. I need to remove fabric from the sides above the band. It’s too long. I’m not really satisfied with the ribbing I used for the T-neck because it’s double faced and adds alot of bulk, which I don’t need. I love the chevron stripe which meant I used alot more fabric then would have been necessary. I actually cut the last piece in the wrong direction and had to go back to Hancock’s find the fabric so that I could cut the piece in the right direction. It was okay since it was on sale for $3 a yard.
Next up, I wanted to sew this dress as soon as I saw the pattern but later I realized I had the perfect fabric for it. This is B5672.
Again not finished yet. I have to play with the pleats. They are pinned in this picture. I cut the dress too big. I have a habit of doing this trying to avoid an FBA although it should not be necessary with a knit I am afraid it will pull across my bust which is unsightly. I also did not want to ruin my gorgeous fabric. Anyhow, I am going to sew the tucks closed some more and hem. I did not line this and will be doing some sort of facing or neck binding, haven’t decided which yet.
Next up, this dress from WhiteHouse BlackMarket. I couldn’t resist when I saw the ad and knew I had some Cinnamon double knit that I’d bought last year from FabricMart Fabrics. I did it for fun mostly, but it’s a very comfortable dress. I used a combination of M6435, V8593, and S2147. I pinned the pleats closed on V8593 and used this as a base for the patten since the length was perfect for me. Since I basted the pleats in the neckline closed I released those into a diagonal dart on the sides. I used M6435 and S2147 to determine where the line would fall for the white part of the pattern. I unfortunately cut the shoulders too wide and now have to take off the sleeves to adjust the shoulder line and then add the sleeves back on and adjust the length. I also think I need to open the neckline somewhat to give it the same shape. I can then bind the neckline and hem.
Next is the First of my Fall Sewing Plan. I’m going to call it FSP #1. It is Jalie 2921 Neck Tie blouse. I love the color and it was really easy. I like how the tie is finished all the way around. This cranberry Fuschia has become one of my favorite colors!! I originally was going to use the Butterick listed above but liked this much better for the fabric. I will review once I finish, hopefully tonight. I gotta change the thread in my coverstitch.